Daniel Dombeck Assistant Professor
Optical dissection of the neuronal circuits underlying mammalian navigation
The neuronal activity underlying mammalian spatial navigation represents one of the most striking examples of behavioral correlation in the brain. We are interested in the cellular and circuit mechanisms responsible for the neuronal activity that allows mammals to navigate and find their way to specific destinations. To accomplish this, we develop and apply novel optical and genetic techniques to perform cellular and subcellular resolution imaging and manipulation of neuronal population activity in mice navigating in virtual reality environments. By understanding the navigation circuitry, we hope to extract general principles about neuronal population dynamics in behaving mammals.
- Dombeck DA, Harvey CD, Tian L, Looger LL, Tank DW. (2010). Functional imaging of hippocampal place cells at cellular resolution during virtual navigation. Nat Neurosci, 13(11), 1433-1440.
- Dombeck DA, Graziano MS, Tank DW. (2009). Functional clustering of neurons in motor cortex determined by cellular resolution imaging in awake behaving mice. J Neurosci, Nov 4;29(44):13751-60.
- Harvey CD, Collman F, Dombeck DA, Tank DW. (2009). Intracellular dynamics of hippocampal place cells during virtual navigation. Nature, Oct 15;461(7266):941-6.
- Dombeck DA, Khabbaz AN, Collman F, Adelman TL, Tank DW. (2007). Imaging large-scale neural activity with cellular resolution in awake, mobile mice. Neuron, Oct 4;56(1):43-57.
- Dombeck DA, Blanchard-Desce M, Webb WW. (2004). Optical recording of action potentials with second-harmonic generation microscopy. J Neurosci, Jan 24(4), 999-1003.
- Levene MJ, Dombeck DA, Kasischke KA, Molloy RP, Webb WW. (2004). In vivo multiphoton microscopy of deep brain tissue. J Neurophysiol, 91, 1908-1912.
- 2011 Whitehall Research Grant Award, Whitehall Foundation
- 2011 Klingenstein Fellowship in the Neurosciences, Esther & Joseph Klingenstein Foundation
- 2010 Chicago Biomedical Consortium (CBC) Junior Investigator Award
- 2010 Searle Leadership Fund Award, Northwestern University
- 2007 Research Award for Innovation in Neuroscience (RAIN) - Presidential Award Ceremony, Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting
- 2007-09 Patterson Trust Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Brain Circuitry