Yevgenia Kozorovitskiy Assistant Professor
The Kozorovitskiy lab focuses on two broad, inter-related themes: decoding neuromodulation and neural circuit design principles. We seek to address the following questions:
- What activity-dependent rules govern the design of neural circuits and synapses in early life?
- How are these rules updated by experience and broken in disease?
- What is the function of neuromodulation during development and in behavior?
- How do multiplexed neuromodulatory systems operate?
We investigate these questions primarily, but not exclusively, in the basal ganglia, a phylogenetically ancient region of the brain essential for complex, goal directed motor actions and reward-based behavior. One of our primary current interests is the influence of neurotransmitters, such as glutamate, GABA and dopamine, on synaptic development and neural circuit integration. To address these questions, we rely on 2-photon imaging and 2-photon neurotransmitter photorelease, whole-cell electrophysiology, opto- and pharmacogenetics, neuroanatomy, computational and behavioral analyses.
We are on the lookout for passionate scientists at all levels to join our team.
- Peixoto, RT, Wang, W, Croney, DM, Kozorovitskiy, Y, Sabatini, BL (2016). Early hyperactivity and precocious maturation of corticostriatal circuits in Shank3B-/- mice. Nat Neurosci, doi:10.1038/nn.4260.
- Kozorovitskiy, Y, Peixoto, R, Wang, W, Saunders, A, Sabatini, B (2015). Neuromodulation of excitatory synaptogenesis in striatal development. eLife.
- Tang J, Szikra T, Kozorovitskiy Y, Teixiera M, Sabatini B, Roska B, Cepko C. (2013). A nanobody-based system using fluorescent proteins as scaffolds for cell-specific gene manipulation. Cell, 154(4): 928-39.
- Kwon, H, Kozorovitskiy, Y, Oh, W, Peixoto, R, Akhtar, N, Saulnier, J, Gu, C, Sabatini, B. (2012). Neuroligin-1–dependent competition regulates cortical synaptogenesis and synapse number. Nat Neurosci, 15(12):1667-74.
- Kozorovitskiy, Y*, Saunders, A*, Johnson, C, Lowell, B, Sabatini, B. (2012). Recurrent network activity drives striatal synaptogenesis. Nature, 485(7400): 646-50.
- 2016 Searle Scholar Award, Kinship Foundation
- 2016 Sloan Research Fellowship, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- 2015 Cornew Innovation Award, Chemistry of Life Processes Institute
- 2015 Beckman Young Investigator Award, Arnold & Mabel Beckman Foundation
- 2015 Rita Allen Scholar Award, Rita Allen Foundation
- 2015 Whitehall Foundation Grant
- 2015 Early Career Investigators Innovation Award, William N. and Bernice E. Bumpus Foundation
- 2015 NARSAD Young Investigator Grant, Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
- 2014 Searle Leadership Fund Award, Northwestern University
- 2013 Anuradha Rao Memorial Award, Society for Neuroscience
- 2008 William F. Milton Fund Award, Harvard Medical School
- 2007 Junior Fellowship, Harvard University Society of Fellows