Why Participate in Undergraduate Research?
- Through the challenge of state-of-the-art research opportunities, undergraduates receive training that develops and improves their scientific skill set.
- Personalized mentored research at the undergraduate level provides undergraduates with training and experience to go on to competitive professional/graduate schools and career positions in research laboratories.
- Undergraduates who take on research projects become full members of an active research laboratory, enriching their educational experience and providing them with opportunities for major scientific discovery.
Academic Year/Summer Research Opportunities and Research Grants
Several sources are available for undergraduates to land research grants during the academic year and/or the summer.
Neuroscience Summer GrantsWe will consider applications by declared Neuroscience majors for summer research grants of $3500. Students at all stages of their program are encouraged to apply. Application consists of a 2-page research proposal and requires endorsement by the faculty adviser. Preference will be given to students who have either applied through URG and/or Weinberg mechanisms already or who have received one of those grants in the past and are therefore ineligible to receive one again. Research must be done in a Northwestern laboratory. Summer 2017-specific application information will be coming soon.
- Northwestern Education and Undergraduate Research on Neuroscience (NEURON)
- Northwestern University Undergraduate Research Grants
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences (WCAS) Grants for Undergraduate Research
- Conference Travel Grants
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Continuing Umbrella of Research Experience (CURE)
- NU PS-OC Summer Research Experiences for Students
- Cancer Health Disparities Summer Research Program
- Program in Biological Sciences
More Research Opportunities, Fellowships, and Grants
Keep an eye out here for upcoming opportunities.
- DAAD RISE and RISE Pro (Research Experience in Science and Engineering) funded summer research opportunities in Germany for undergraduate and graduate students in the STEM fields. For more information, please visit https://www.daad.de/rise/en/.
- Academic Year Undergraduate Research Grants provide up to $1,000 to pay for your research expenses to do an independent academic or creative project in any field.
- Application Deadlines: January 17th, 2017 & February 14th, 2017
- More Information: http://undergradresearch.northwestern.edu/ayurg