Why Participate in Undergraduate Research?
- Through the challenge of state-of-the-art research opportunities, undergraduates receive training that develops and improves their scientific skill set.
- Personalized mentored research at the undergraduate level provides undergraduates with training and experience to go on to competitive professional/graduate schools and career positions in research laboratories.
- Undergraduates who take on research projects become full members of an active research laboratory, enriching their educational experience and providing them with opportunities for major scientific discovery.
Academic Year/Summer Research Opportunities and Research Grants
Several sources are available for undergraduates to land research grants during the academic year and/or the summer.
Neuroscience Summer Research Grant 2018We will consider applications by declared Neuroscience majors for summer research grants of $3500. Students at all stages of their program (graduation in Fall 2018 or later) are encouraged to apply. The application consists of an information sheet, a 2-page research proposal, and a timeline. An email from the faculty adviser endorsing the project and candidate is also required. Preference will be given to students who have already applied through URG and/or Weinberg mechanisms. Research must be done in a Northwestern laboratory for 8 weeks full-time; coursework, other paid grants, or internships are not permitted during this time. Awardees are expected to present their work at the Neuroscience Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium in August. The application may be downloaded here: Application for Summer Research Grant 2018 . Applications are due by 5 pm, May 22. Decisions will be released by June 1.
- Northwestern Education and Undergraduate Research on Neuroscience (NEURON)
- Northwestern University Undergraduate Research Grants
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences (WCAS) Grants for Undergraduate Research
- Conference Travel Grants
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Continuing Umbrella of Research Experience (CURE)
- Northwestern Career Advancement's Summer Internship Grant Program (SIGP)
- NU PS-OC Summer Research Experiences for Students
- Cancer Health Disparities Summer Research Program
- Program in Biological Sciences
More Research Opportunities, Fellowships, and Grants
Keep an eye out here for upcoming opportunities.
- DAAD RISE and RISE Pro (Research Experience in Science and Engineering) funded summer research opportunities in Germany for undergraduate and graduate students in the STEM fields. For more information, please visit https://www.daad.de/rise/en/.